Thursday, November 1, 2012

November First

This is a good day so far (three hours into it). I'm writing a new poem, revising an old one, reading two poetry books and a stack of poems for review for the lit magazine at UAF. And I think being immersed in poetry can make good days, even if you know you're avoiding work for class. Even if you're avoiding sleep, as usual.

I'd like to blame the weather here for my poor sleep. I'd like to say, "Oh well the sun patterns have..." blah blah blah. Truthfully, I'm just ignoring sleeping patterns. The sun doesn't rise early anymore, why should I? We lose seven minutes of daylight a day. To put it in perspective, by november 18 we will have approximately five hours and fifty minutes of sunlight. By december 1 we will have four and a half hours of sunlight. Most of this will be horizon sun, rising and setting.

Homicide rates are highest in hot, bright countries; suicide rates are highest in cold, dark countries. Either way someone is killing something. Isn't that strange? The habits of people are generally confusing.

I suppose I'm updating this for the sake of updating it, and not for any real reflection or purposeful writing. just needed to give that poem I'm working on a little air. I did write a different new poem while I was up here, and I quite liked it. I might even venture to say that it's good. Not sure yet how I feel about the new one. Longer lines than I usually go for, and of a very personal and close nature. I guess I'd say we'll see if I was going to post it here, but I'm not going to. So...

No comments:

Post a Comment